Thursday, April 09, 2009

Hanging Around...


A photo contest entry of mine from last summer...
Hi All,
Where does time go? I have asked that question here on this blog many times. Especially, it seems, after a long absence from writing. I feel like a columnist who has been scribbling little notes for weeks, and stuffing them in his pockets. I end up with so many little articles in my mind; it’s hard to make one article out of the mishmash. So for now, let’s clear a few things up. Yes, I am still here; Yes, I am going to commit to write more often; Yes, I am going to post some interesting photographs.
Suffice to say we (Kathy and I) have had a busy month. Our lives are in complete flux as we contemplate the reality of relocating (a nice word for the adventure of moving!). Buying a new house, finding new roads to ride, ending one career, and starting another, learning about a new city, meeting new people, it is an endless list. As I wrote to a friend last week: “Other than that, just a typical quiet year for us.” There will be more detail about our move, and other salient details as the plan evolves.
Pastor Dave and I, hanging around; installing video cable at Aldersgate...
The Aldersgate Church audio/visual project is finally about done. Yesterday, I spent several hours 20 feet up a ladder hanging the new projector in the sanctuary. It’s a far more enjoyable place to work than the 5 hours I spent last Saturday in the crawl space under the church relocating the wiring and lighting controls!

You would never guess Pastor Dave is a techie...
Yes, I am still riding, too. This last week, I attempted to unscrew the cleats of my SPD pedals in order to replace them with Speedplay Frogs. You may recall that I won the Speedplays in a raffle from the Recumbent Blog last year.
Old, Old shoes...
'Nuff Said...
Ever try to unscrew cleats that have been in use for 8,000 miles? It’s pretty humorous. After my first try, I am seriously considering some new shoes!
Nice new cleats!
As retirement from air traffic control approaches, I am working on a few goals in the narrow window before career #2 starts. The Salt Lake City Century is May 16th, and I hope to be reasonably ready to attack the 6-hour mark. My last century ride was a DNF at 83 miles due to weather, mechanical issues, and well, just some darn ugly hills at the end of the ride. I would very much like to erase that memory, and have a successful ride. The Tour de Cure in June will have to wait for another time as with moving and working on the house I will not have the time ride after May.
And nice new pedals!
That’s the update for now. I promise, there WILL be a new post within 7 days. For now, stay in touch, ride lots of miles, enjoy the other blogs to the right in the tab list, and most importantly, have a joyous and happy Easter.
Jim

No comments: