Sunday, February 22, 2009

RAAM and Winter Riding


The island, from Bluff Rd. Nice day for riding...
Hi all,
Well, yet another busy week has passed, and I am finally enjoying a few quick hours to get in some winter riding.
It just snowed, and snowed on Tuesday!
Of course, it hasn’t been a real wintry week, or wait, maybe it was. The weather can’t seem to make up its mind what season it is. It was kind of like being on a rollercoaster! Early this week on Tuesday, 14 inches of snow fell in 24 hours. Then, the sun came out, the ground warmed up a little, and the roads cleared quickly. So much so that Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, I was on one of my bikes. Today, (Saturday) I was able to take the Barcroft Virginia GT out for 25 miles, with a starting temperature around 42 degrees and I was actually quite warm when I got back from Antelope Island.

Speaking of Antelope Island, I was out riding the causeway today, and I saw a huge flock of Canadian snow geese out on the mud/snow flats. A bird counter was perusing them, and he told me that they are very rarely seen here off the causeway, and usually they are way down south near Delta. We had a nice conversation as I took a few pictures.
Such a nice day to be out...
My education about RAAM, (See last week’s post) is ongoing. There has been a little confusion as to what my role (or roll) was going to be on TeamType2. Let me clear up a little misconception. No, I am not riding as a competitor. Are you kidding? These creaky old legs racing? Racing for 3,000 miles? Be serious, people.
The Snow Geese in the distance...
Yes, I am going on RAAM, but only as race/crew support. My initial task is to be a motor home driver for the off duty racers. There will be tons of extra tasks besides just being a driver, but I am happy to be a member of the team, and look forward to meeting out goal of 8 riders across the USA in 7 days. I will write more about the mechanics of crew support, and how our team is going function in a later post. Anyone want to teach me how to drive a 35 ft. motor home?

One more thing: Alan Barnard, web administrator for ECOVELO (see tab on the right) trying to shake away the winter doldrums is having a photo contest. I along with many other cyclists have entered our photos in the contest. So, while you’re drinking your coffee, slide your mouse over the right and check out the entries. There have been some excellent pieces of photography posted, and I think you might enjoy the artwork.
See you down the road.
Jim

No comments: