Monday, October 22, 2007

Four Bits: Ride #1



Hi all,
Well, you missed an historic moment this afternoon; a recumbent rider on his first rookie mountain bike trail ride. Now, I have over 5,000 miles on recumbents, and have been riding bikes since I can remember. But, in one 45-minute ride, I was thrust back to the beginning of the cycling learning curve. Yes, I kept the bike on the trail, no, I didn’t fall on my butt. Yes, I had a fun, relaxing, and enjoyable time.
I am on a terrible work schedule this week that has kept me from any long rides before or after work. But, I did get off work today early enough to drive up to the Bonneville Shoreline trailhead (about 4 miles from the house) and spent an hour or so trying out my new mountain bike, Four Bits.

It was an education to say the least. I now need to start learning brand new riding techniques. In no particular order, I need to learn how to: Manage steep downhills; keep the front wheel on the ground on steep uphills; Learn how to use these new fangled trigger shifters; find an easy, safe, and accessible place for the camera; and finally, learn some trail etiquette about what trails I can ride, and how to stay out of the way of other riders.

I am sure this list will get longer, and more detailed, but for just my first outing, it was an eye-opening experience in learning how to ride something new. I shall never, ever, laugh at someone who wobbles on their first recumbent ride.
Sunset over Antelope Island

Looking to the southwest...

Happiness is the bike you ride. Enjoy the a few pictures from this afternoon’s outing.

Jim

2 comments:

Dan's Mom said...

Four Bits. Nice name. As for me, I'm still hoping to have a horse to take me up and down the hills...
I like those four legged warm blooded equine machines...
Patsy

Paul said...

I vote that learning how to manage steep downhills becomes much more of a priority!

Remember, your cycle computer is not going to measure two things:

1) The distance you fell off of the steep mountain.

and,

2) The length of your trip to the ER should you fail to successfully manage steep downhills!

Just my two bits on your new adventures on Four Bits. Please be safe!

-Paul