Thursday, May 11, 2006

Riding in Florida

Hi all,
Sorry for the long delay in posting. I was in Palm Coast, Florida about 20 miles north of Daytona Beach. The FAA has a training center there, http://www.cmel.faa.gov/and they enjoy sending us there from time to time to enjoy classes, and lovely dormitory living. Along with all the comforts of a college dorm, CMEL has a garage full of Giant Simple beach cruiser bikes. So everyday around 5 PM one could escape on a bike and enjoy the wonderful bike paths in and around Palm Coast. Enclosed below are some snapshots from riding around the area. On Thursday last, needing an escape from the dorm, I took a drive to the largest Harley dealership in the world. Now, I am not a biker, and don't ever expect to be one anytime soon. But I have a lot of friends from my work who own Harleys, so I took the tour to ogle the fine machines and take some pictures. Just in case I win a million dollars, I picked out a snazzy one just for me.

In other cycling news, today (Thursday 5/11) I succesfully rode the full loop to my work and back. 51 miles round trip! No flats, no crises, no near death experiences, no middle finger salutes from any SUV drivers. Working towards ride commuting to work once each week. Have done it twice so far, and eventually will get better at it. Don't forget that next week, May 19th is national Ride your Bike to Work Day. I expect all of you to hop on your bike and take a ride!

And finally, hats off to my friend Pete, from Canberra who last weekend completed a 1000 kilometer 2.5 day bike ride. That's almost 650 miles folks! Check out the link below to learn all about Brevet's and other such distance events.

http://www.audax.org.au/

That's the news for the day. Happy riding all.

Jim




The Intercoastal Waterway


(A great beach for Kathy and I)


CMEL Beach Cruiser bikes


(My friend Dwight, from Minneapolis)


My new (in my dreams) bike!
I don't even know how to shift it!

No comments: