Tuesday, July 14, 2009

RAAM and TeamType2


TeamType2; Great athletes, all.

Denny Voorhees, Who got me on this adventure...

The bikes, racked and getting ready...

The follow and rider vans...

Lots of wheels to true...


The Boss; Dave Eldridge...
Hi all,
The 2009 RAAM has come and gone. In the spring, there was anticipation and excitement of the race to come; the adventure before me! Then, as quickly as it came upon me, it was over. Something all encompassing, then, like a flickering flame, just a memory.
Since the end of RAAM, I had been reluctant to post as I was in the process of moving, and to add to the delay, I could not make my card reader read my SD card. I know that true writers can paint pictures and give clarity without the use of pictures. But for me, I have always included pictures with my minor attempts at writing. In the meantime, I have been thinking and putting some ideas into some logical order. So, with apologies, I am now able to download pictures, and write some of my RAAM experiences to you.
The best place for me to start is with how I got involved. Early in the spring, I was lucky enough to be selected to be a crew member on the TeamType2 8-Man team. The team, made up of riders with Type 2 diabetes had one goal: 8 riders in 7 days to Annapolis. With sixteen members on the crew, there were teleconferences, mailings, phone calls, and E mails. Dave Eldridge our race director did a fine job of putting us all together as one team. For me, the only thing I can say about being selected to the team: “Denny, thanks for having me.”
Where does one start writing on a subject as expansive as RAAM? What stories should I tell from a bicycle race across America? If I wrote all my ideas in one article, all the ideas would get all jumbled up in the fray. So, I decided to divide my posts into three subjects; RAAM as a race; RAAM as a social/cultural experience; and RAAM as a gift of service. So, bear with me as I together some ideas and pictures to share.
In the next post: RAAM as a race.
Jim

No comments: